Monday, January 31, 2011

So now I have all the pockets cut into the sides it's time to make the rails.
(sorry I did not notice I forgot to rotate the photo
If you know how to fix it let me know)
I start by cutting all the rails to the length I need for the inside of the cabinet plus the depth of the pockets on each side. Then by using a scrap piece I set up my router fence and dovetail bit in a router table. I then cut the matching dove tail on each end of the rails.
Now I have all the rails with matching dovetails on the ends. As you can see the top rail I only cut half of the dovetail. This is to fit the pocket that was cut all the way through on the top.
The lenght of the rail is a little longer than the pocket. This was done on purpose. To hide the end of the dove tail and pocket inside the cabinet. To cut this off I just slid the fence back to where I cut my mark off. Then ran them through.
Now I have rails and pockets, lets put them together.




No comments:

Post a Comment