Thursday, December 30, 2010

This is a picture frame I made for a Christmas present this year. The picture is 30" x 20" that my brother Kelly took this past summer. You can find his work at atthelens.com. I used 4 different moldings to make this frame. First I glued up all the moldings to make the frame stock. Then I mitered the pieces to the length I needed, glued and clamped them, then sanded them down smooth. Then I used the same technique as I did on the mantel below to carve the flat section on the frame. I also used the same finishing technique as the mantel below to finish this frame. I also added a 3/16" plywood back to it to give it more strength and keep it from twisting. Then I cut two sets of key hole slots in the back so it can be hung easier.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE that you started this blog! You make some amazing things. And that picture frame...wow. Thank you and Kelly for making them such a beautiful gift, and letting us go in on it.
    I start my first woodworking class this next Wednesday-here's hoping I'm not the only girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, That's great! What kind of woodworking class is it? I don't know why people think that woodworking is a guy sport. I have seen some pretty amazing pieces built by women. If you are the only girl I hope you blow them boys out of the shop with your mad skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, glad to hear that some women have skills, hopefully I am on of them. Every time I go into Home Depot and ask for furring strips or something, they look at me like, "Really?, Are you sure?" The class is called Beginner woodworking, and I guess we learn how to use all the tools and make strong joints and whatnot. I'm just taking it through the community college, so it's probably not super awesome, but it's a start. I would like to be comfortable to make some furniture I've seen on this site:
    http://ana-white.com/

    ReplyDelete